I'm student teaching now. I'm in a 2nd grade classroom with 26, no wait, it's 24 again, kids. One is a kid with Asperger's and he's the one who challenges me and my cooperating teacher (Kim Julian) the most. I'm trying my best to take him as a learning experience, but some days I feel he wears me out so much I can't even think!

I like the boy, but he's certainly a lot of effort. We've also got a few extended resource kids and some kids that are just flat behind schedule in their learning. It makes the class a challenge, but I think the experience will be well worth my (unpaid) time. This past week I began teaching science to them. Now, science can either bore you to tears or be extremely fun. I choose the fun route. The current unit of study is habitats. What better way to learn about them than to observe some first-hand? Especially in second grade, it is so much easier for the students to comprehend a lesson when it uses their senses and isn't just talking and maybe a few pictures. So... I brought my fish (named Sayid, whom I had to rename Freddy for easy pronunciation) and I bought and created small habitats for a red claw crab and a mouse. I was freaked out to buy both of those- a crunchy spider and a mouse! Ew! But I've got to admit, the crab is no trouble and sort of cool to watch, and the mouse (while somewhat stinky) isn't so bad.


The kids loved the lesson and adore the animals. We decided to keep them as class pets for the remainder of the unit. So, while teaching is already very tiring (but I'm adjusting to the schedule better everyday,) I'm enjoying the heck out of it! This coming week I'll be teaching more on habitats and adding math and a read-aloud to my charge.

Also, as of two Friday's ago now, Geoff is a full-time Best Buy employee. This includes more hours, a (slight but meaningful) pay raise, and benefits! We are so blessed and watched over. He still enjoys working there and generally speaking, likes his coworkers. Our only struggle is how often he works on Sunday's. I guess around here, with just about everyone being LDS it just doesn't make a difference to your employer. Oh well, eventually we'll be out of here and he can regain Sunday's as the Sabbath.
More good news- it looks like the 1 bedroom apartment next door will be ours this week. While I feel bad the guy is getting evicted, he's choosing that over the many options placed before him, so it's officially his fault and problem. As for me and Geoff, we're thrilled to move! I'll probably do the bulk of the moving after school (and REALLY be worn out!) and my hope is by the end of the week be officially and completely in a slightly larger (with a bigger kitchen!!!!) place. So, if you could pray for me to have the strength necessary to do all this, it would be much appreciated! :)
Um... I think that covers the bulk of the news for now. Things are going very well for us and the Lord is most certainly watching over us and helping us to make it through. We're very grateful for all that we're blessed with. And with that, we have a serious need to improve our temple attendance. With it being just around the corner, I'm ashamed that I haven't been more often. We're going to change that.

It sounds like you are an awesome teacher and I love your original name for the fish :)
ReplyDeleteYou have no excuse to not go to the temple. When you have a baby that won't eat from anything but your boobs then tell me. Seriously I wish I could go more often. Teaching sounds awesome! Congrats on all the wonderful things going on!
ReplyDelete